Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Touch-Move


It was never my intention to post something today but that decision suddenly changed when I read an article on Yahoo. It says:

"Jason Collins announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports"

I don't know who Jason Collins is but I know he's a big name in the world of basketball. I read the entire article and the only thing I said was, Wow! Things really changed.

I know I've been posting a lot of entries pertaining to sexuality here in my blog. Some people might think that it's no longer an interesting topic but I beg to differ. Every time I read an article or hear stories of people coming out of the closet, it still creates a big impact to me and I know somewhere out there, there are people who share the same feelings.

Maybe because I know it's hard to tell the world that "Hey, I'm gay" or much harder to accept the fact that you're putting your family on the spot giving opportunity to less understanding people to mock them without your consent.

Announcing that you are gay is a very brave decision. You will never know what will happen next. Will you still have your family? Will you still have friends? Will you still have the same treatment that you're enjoying before? Nothing is certain. It's like finding your way in a maze while being blindfolded. Coming "out" is not something you can take back, like time, words and invites, you can never bring it back and if we will compare it in the world of chess, "touch move".

But despite these consequences, these brave souls still opted to choose the path of being true to themselves. But mind you, it's not easy because there are a lot of things/people to consider. They're not just giving the responsibility to themselves. Implicitly, they're giving their family the responsibility for other people to understand/accept who they are. It's hard. It's so hard that sometimes it takes months, years or even a life time to know the right moment.

Let me end this post by sharing my favorite part of the Yahoo's article which is part of Collins Column in SI.

"No one wants to live in fear. I've always been scared of saying the wrong thing. I don't sleep well. I never have. But each time I tell another person, I feel stronger and sleep a little more soundly. It takes an enormous amount of energy to guard such a big secret. I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew. And yet when I acknowledged my sexuality I felt whole for the first time. I still had the same sense of humor, I still had the same mannerisms and my friends still had my back".

No comments: